1. Planter should meet with the Associational Missionary to secure endorsement (watch care or full membership) from the association for planting.
2. Planter should go to namb.net and click on PLANT A CHURCH to register as a CHURCH PLANTER.
3. NAMB will then inform the ALSBOM Church Planting office of the planter’s interest and request how to proceed. If the planter has had no prior contact with our office, he will be contacted for a pre-assessment conversation. If the planter has been in contact with our office he may be sent the application link by e –mail.
4. Planter should complete the application (approximately 10 pages) online, including four references.
5. Planter should encourage his references to respond quickly when notified by NAMB by e–mail (this sometimes slows the process).
6. Upon completion of application and response from references, NAMB will do background checks for the planter (both criminal and credit) and will notify our office of the completion.
7. At this point, you may be invited to participate in a two-day assessment retreat where multiple candidate couples will be assessed by trained counselors and experienced church planters. Other inventories will be required prior to this experience.
8. Upon completion of this assessment report, the planter will need to complete the appropriate ALSBOM application for congregational assistance (and perhaps other appropriate applications listed in step #9). These applications will then be considered by the Church Planting Task Force at our next regularly scheduled meeting. A letter of endorsement from the Director of Missions and sponsoring church must accompany the application.
Other Assistance Available for New Church Plants
9. Other items provided by our office for church plants in addition to congregational assistance are: $5,000 startup grant, 25% grant (not to exceed $25,000) for purchase of property (as funds are available), rental assistance for meeting site may be available (as funds are available), Alabama Baptist Foundation may be able to assist with loans for first unit buildings. Visit our resource area for online applications.
NONE OF THESE ITEMS WILL BE APPROVED UNTIL THE ABOVE APPLICATION PROCESS (STEPS 1-8) IS COMPLETED WITH ASSESSMENT.
10. Each funded planter and at least one additional leader is required to have attended Alabama Church Planting Basics before being approved or within 6 months afterwards.